Friday, April 13, 2018

Tip #7: Seriously, just go ahead and put on your damn earrings

That sounds kind of in-your-face.  Sorry.  I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to me.  I look at myself in the mirror and have the following conversation when I'm depressed.

ME:  Ugh.  I want to go back to bed and pull the covers over my head and sleep until the Fourth of July.

ME:  Right.  That'll solve everything, won't it.

ME:  I'm too blue to even wash my face.  Faces are so stupid.  Why did God invent something that you had to wash every day anyway?

ME:  Look.  You'll feel better if you wash your face.  You'll feel better if you do some of the things you always do.  Even if they're little things.  You know.  Like putting on your earrings.

ME:  Ugh.  Why were earrings even invented?  Why were ears even invented?  Earrings and ears are so stupid.

ME:  You campaigned hard for those earrings, starting in the sixth grade, although TRQ made you wait until you were fourteen to get your ears pierced.  And then she went out and got her ears pierced the next day.  But that's not the point.  The point is that putting on your earrings reminds you of what it feels like to be you when you're not depressed.

ME:  Whatever.

ME:  Seriously, just go ahead and put on your damn earrings.  NOW!

It doesn't have to be earrings, obv.  Lipstick counts.  A bow tie.  A trademark pair of shoes.  Any little thing that says hey!  This is me on a good day!

And the good days will be here again!

4 comments:

Jim said...

Someone once told me that the best way to get going is to just get going. I love the tips you are sharing. Now maybe I will just going with earrings on.

Lisa B. said...

I recommend a super pink lipstick. Not coincidentally, I recently found my super pink lipstick amongst all the other less splendid lipsticks. I am wearing the super pink lipstick tomorrow, along with a new pair of star earrings that JUST ARRIVED IN THE MAIL. Not coincidentally, apparently my shopping moratorium is having a moratorium of its own. SPRING.

Louise Plummer said...

Sing it, Ann, sing it!

shelley said...

I think animals should be one of your tips too. Nurturing animals is therapeutic. Watching ferrets spastically fall down stairs, take the dog on a walk and watch her tail wag THE WHOLE TIME, get your bird to sing.....it all helps.