Friday, April 6, 2018

Friday Thoughts on Tulips and Natural Habitats

So walking is my current anti-depressant drug of choice these days, which is why I've spent more time than usual out and about in my neighborhood.

Today as I was walking to 7-11 in the rain to buy a can of Campbell's tomato soup (which is kind of a depressing sentence, actually), I noticed a bed of tulips and was struck by how saturated their colors were.  So vivid!  So glistening!  So pink and yellow pearly!

It hit me that while these tulips might also be lovely with the sun shining on their throats, they're far more beautiful in the rain.  Why?  Because they were invented in the Netherlands, a country that experiences over 700 days of rain a year.  The Netherlands is an overachiever that way.  Tulips love rainy days.  Let the drops fly and they're all about showing off their sturdy fancy selves.

Me, I don't much like the rain.  But today I'm giving the rain high fives for making my little walk just that much more satisfying.

Thank you, Rain!

4 comments:

Jim said...

"Because they were invented in the Netherlands, a country that experiences over 700 days of rain a year. The Netherlands is an overachiever that way." It is writing like this that makes you the best. Loved today's post.

Megan Goates said...

Look at you, sharing your blog on fb and writing unexpected things about 7-11 and canned tomato soup. BUT ALSO TULIPS. I heart this.

radagast said...

I'm giving YOU high fives for making my little day just that much more satisfying.

Cindy Luft-Morrison said...

Tulips are my favorite!!!!