Thursday, April 12, 2018

Okay, a couple more tips today

TIP #4:  Pull back from the things you can!  Okay, we all have busy lives.  But the truth is that we often fill up our dance cards with things that can be deferred.  Or even eliminated.  Sitting out a dance or two while you're getting better won't hurt.  Unless, of course, Prince is performing "1999."  Then you really should get up and dance.

Meanwhile, the next tip is like unto that last tip.

TIP #5:  Don't isolate yourself but do feel free to cut back on social engagements for awhile.  One of the things that happens to me when I get depressed is that my social energy plummets.  Being with other people is exhausting, which is one of the reasons why depressed people want to isolate themselves.  There are other issues at play, too--like that fear that you'll disappoint others and drive them away forever because you ARE NO FUN AT ALL AND YOU PROBABLY NEVER EVER WERE IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THINGS WILL NEVER BE GOOD AGAIN.

But whatever.

Just remind yourself that right now you have limited energy and you maybe oughta give some thought to where the energy you do have should go.  Then remind yourself this is only a temporary state of affairs.

Speaking of which . . .

Tip #6:  Learn to love the bomb.  Stephen Colbert has talked about the importance of "loving the bomb," i.e. embracing a failure as a way of getting through it and past the fear of failing that dogs us all.  My version of loving the bomb is to embrace the illness--or at least embrace what it teaches me.  I mean, why not put all that misery to good use?

So what have my episodes of depression taught me?  First and foremost, I've learned that I am resilient.  I know how to get back in the saddle again.  Which I would totally do if only I had a horse.

Awesome, right?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You have great advice. 💕

Lauren said...

also, when you eventually come out of the depression (for however long), doesn't it feel amazing?