Friday, April 2, 2010

It must be said

For my birthday this week, my mother (the woman who wanted me to wear a blinking light thing on my head) gave me the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten ever EVER. It was chocolate with chocolate frosting, so right there we know happiness lies ahead. BUT. Rather than being a decadence-type cake, it was just a rich moist dense old-fashioned-type of cake. Probably the kind those characters ate for dessert on Sunday in that movie POLLYANNA. Anyway. She bought it at Magleby's in Provo. And people I would drive to Provo just for that cake. I would WALK to Provo for that cake. I would walk BACKWARDS to Provo for that cake. I would walk backwards WEARING A BLINKING LIGHT THING ON MY HEAD to Provo for that cake.

In other news, I think I know what's been bothering me about the book I've been working on. More than an issue of not knowing what it's about--many of you rightly suggested that often we don't know while we're writing a first draft--I had the sense that the audience (YA male) I had in mind wouldn't be interested. And I'm pretty sure I'm right about that. But it occurred to me young YA girls might be interested in the story. So I'm going to switch narrators.

Yes. I know. Clever me.

7 comments:

SWILUA said...

happy birthday! good chocolate cake rox.

LucindaF said...

I love those cakes on Pollyanna. What'd they pay, like a nickel for that big dog? And the butter sloshed corn on the cob. Yum.

Also, I was thinking about your book. I think it could be akin to Julie of the Wolves.

I know, different, but sort of a mystical relationship between human and animal.


Of course, yours will be better, my clever friend.

Your birthday was a good day for me, too.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

obviously the muse resides in chocolate cake....I have been searching in chocolate pie, chocolate candy bars, chocolate milkshakes....my mistake.
Thanks for the heads up.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

By the way....I survived my first funeral as relief society president. sounds funny doesn't it? survived my first funeral....
everyone showed up with their food, and there was someone set aside in the kitchen to critique the funeral potatoes.... unfortunately they were all measured and all found wanting.
That would be a column fun to write, but impossible to publish!!

Randi said...

mmmmm... that sounds delicious. I hope you're enjoying your birthday week!

Anonymous said...

HaPPy BiRThDaY! Late, but had I known or read or ... Thanks for reminding me of Pollyanna, too!

donnette perkins said...

I'm VERY familiar with that cake.