Thursday, April 22, 2010

Back to the Future

Today Geoff and I had tacos at Rubios. Sitting next to us was a VERY beautiful well-dressed young mother with her adorable toddler son. As they prepared to leave I pointed to me and Geoff and said to her, "This is you twenty years from now." And then because I didn't want to scare her unnecessarily, I said, "Only you'll probably have cuter clothes."

She laughed. And then she looked at me. I mean really REALLY looked at me as though I were her own crystal ball. And I, of course, looked at her, filled with remembrance of small boys past.

"It goes fast, doesn't it?" she said finally. Gently. And I nodded.

Later, on the drive home, I cried a little, thinking of all of the craziness sweet and sad she has in front of her and how, in a heartbeat, I would take it all on again.

Only with cuter clothes.

9 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Brought tears to my eyes, too.

It is my considered opinion that it is never too late for cuter clothes. NEVER.

Marcia said...

love to know my kids as they grow older and miss them terribly when they were littler. at the same time.

Kerri said...

Thanks for making me tear up a little bit.

And also making me wish I was a beautiful young mom with cute clothes.

I think I hate time and how much it thinks it must rush by.

Tiffany said...

Crap. Where's the Kleenex? I loved this. I rushed right through the toddler years.

LucindaF said...

I sure love you and your tender heart. And I love that you talk to strangers and stalk the one armed grocery guy.

The whole world needs to hear your voice.

Randi said...

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon...

wjmom said...

Amen. *sniff, sniff*

BBB said...

I definitely need a butt load of cuter clothes to do life in.

Except that I did recently buy some new cute shorts. Kid you not it had not even been 10 minutes that I'd had them on when we were playing Supergirl and Abby burp-puked all over them. Go figure. This is the stuff you want to do all over again, isn't it?

Two lessons learned:
1-Don't play Supergirl right after eating.
2-Find CHEAP cute clothes to buy.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Oh, my....this is my Achilles heel, I gave a talk in relief society Wed night and I pleaded with them to not be in a hurry...I told them the Savior NEVER ran from village to village....
it goes so fast. sometimes it is a hurt that is almost more than I can take. But then I do...