Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rules for righteous writers

Feeling like the brain gas is pretty low today. Just picked up THE POCKET MUSE by Monica Wood in hopes of getting the tank topped off. I landed on this page and think it's a good one and so here I am sharing. Thanks, Monica Wood!

TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR A HAPPY WRITING LIFE
1. Don't wait for inspiration; establish a writing habit.
2. Take time off.
3. Read voraciously.
4. Shut out the inner critic.
5. Claim a space.
6. Claim some time.
7. Accept rejection.
8. Expect success.
9. Live fully.
10. Wish others well.

7 comments:

Lisa B. said...

>> 7. Accept rejection

I understand what these words mean individually, but I'm not exactly sure they make sense *together*.

Or that just might be me.

LucindaF said...

My 10:

1. Writing is just one part of me.
2. There is no time to write unless I make it.
3. Writing exercises really do help.
4. Have writer friends.
5. Occassional conferences get the juices flowing.
6. There are no rules in writing.
7. Until revision.
8. Do not be a hermit.
9. Time away from writing is like inactivity in church. You feel guilt and forget how to start again.
10. See rule 4. Let them reactivate you.

Andria said...

I love this book! I think I need to write my ten like Lucinda did.

Carolyn V. said...

That list is perfect! I'm so glad you shared. =)

Tiffany said...

Ooo, I sure like these. I also like Lucinda's. Thanks for sharing.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I sent this list to my son...he is just about home from his mission and told me he is thinking of being a writer. How cool is that? I also loved Lucinda's rules...the part about their being no rules made me happy, because I am not anywhere equipped to write. I have done it all wrong, except live a life. I hope there is a qualification there.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I mean "there". There goes my qualifications..I can't even use there correctly...