Tuesday, April 14, 2015

When Adults Speak in Code

You know how sometimes your mind just throws up random memories, right?  It's like your brain is the ocean with its waves just washing whatever ashore--shells, seaweed, bits of glass, gross stuff, whatever.

Anyway, here was the bit of shell that showed up on the memory shore today.  For some reason I remembered the time we were in San Diego when I was a kid, driving to Sea World and there was this young woman with a va-va-va-voom figure on the sidewalk up ahead.  And the Coach said, "Man.  She's got a swing in her backyard!"  So TRQ hauled off and slugged him.

And I was so young I wondered why my parents even cared that a complete stranger had a swing in her backyard.  I liked swings.  Swings were happy!

And in other random news, here's this week's column.

2 comments:

James said...

Great article. I wonder what life would be if we could all conquer the inner critic. Great literature. Great art. Great achievements. Great article...and blogs about swings in backyards.

Megan Goates said...

I love that you named her Gladys.