Sunday, March 3, 2013

Word to a writer from another mother

What my friend Shelley said on her fb page today (and, Shelley, I hope you don't mind that I'm quoting you here): "Ever spend so much mental energy planning a project that when you actually start tackling it you feel like it should already be done?"

I think we've all had this experience, right?

This reminds me of an excellent piece of advice Barbara Williams (a fabulous writer and an important influence on the Utah children's authors of my generation).  She cautioned against talking about a work-in-progress too much.  Doing so can diffuse the energy you bring to the manuscript.  Like, talking about it fires off all the dopamine in your brain, which makes you feel gooooooooooood, which makes you think you've already done the hard work of writing.

Which you haven't.

Just a little writing thought for the day.  You're welcome.

4 comments:

radagast said...

Even your titles are hip!

Louise Plummer said...

So true.

Emily said...

I like this. I don't like to talk about my WIPs very often and maybe this is why. I feel like I need to FINISH it first.

James said...

I have never written anything, and I am always spouting off my ideas...ergo, it must be true. Keep your seeds secret, writers, and then let the rest of us enjoy your bloom.