Monday, June 6, 2011

Chillin' like a villain (in Utah County)

Through a combination of circumstances, I find myself in Provo for the day. I’ve spent most of it preparing for next week's WIFYR boot camp at the fabulous city library (I loves it so much!) (and I always feel proud when I see my parents' names on the donors' list as you walk through the south door!) (way to be awesome, Parents o' mine!).

Anyhoo! Here’s what I have to say. When I was growing up here, the locals (at least the kid locals) REALLY resented it when people assumed Provo and BYU were one of the same. But a funny thing has happened since I moved to Salt Lake 30 years ago. I’ve started making the exact same assumption.

Here’s the deal. Watching the patrons drift in and out of the library has reminded me that yes, Provo is predominantly white. And yes most of its citizens probably espouse some degree of Mormonism. But the population here is by no means monolithic. At all. For the record, it is possible to live in Provo and have big tattoos, crazyass multiple piercings, and inventive facial hair. And also for the record, BYU's student body (and faculty) isn't completely monolithic either

What's the lesson I'm taking away from this today? Apparently I've turned into a certain type of snotty Salt Lake East Bencher and that is SO NOT GOOD. Time to lose the stereotypes, she said to herself as she stereotyped a segment of Salt Lake residents, aka "snotty Salt Lake East Benchers."

2 comments:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

400 years ago when I was a citizen of Cougarville I worked at a men's rest home...very Oliver Twist....it was in Orem. I learned very quickly that Orem was not cool....very similar to Henderson Nevada. Henderson used to be a blue collar town that was properly on the other side of the railroad tracks...and today? Decidedly not on the other side of the tracks.
That is the way with life...our perceptions color everything...

wjmom said...

Apparently snotty east-benchers from Provo are allowed to say "crazyass." Which is why this West Side snob loves you.