Saturday, January 23, 2010

something else that's hard when you just have one hand

eating lunch at a Brazilian steakhouse.

because they feed you MEAT. which you must cut. which is like clapping with one hand. only in a much less zen kind of way. because really when you sit there looking at your beautiful meat which you CANNOT CUT you want to take your steak knife and stab someone. which, the last time i checked, is totally unzen. i am pretty sure you would not find buddhist monks stabbing each other in tucanos at the gateway.

good thing geoff was there to cut my meat. also to stand on his chair and limply shake a tambourine when the waiters brought his gratis b-day dessert and sang happy birthday to him. they made him do it. and i laughed. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

even though he cut my meat for me.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

This is a perfect little piece of writing, in my opinion. You should make a tiny book of tiny essays about having only one hand. Seriously. Do not dismiss this tiny book project out of hand. In fact, you could call it Out of Hand.

OMG, that book has already written itself.

Bob the Woodworker said...

I just wish I had seen Geoff playing the tambourine standing on the table and cutting your meat. What I want to know is whether Geoff was able to do both at the same time - shaking the tambourine and cutting - sort of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. I think your appreciation for two hands is growing by the minute, though I'm with Lisa that you should do the little one-handed essays.