Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hmmmm

I just glanced over my recent posts and REALLY! If I didn't know myself and read these, I would say "Here's a big baby girl who's feeling picked on." How unattractive is that?! Sorry. I'll stop whining about column readers' comments. The truth is that most people who send me e-mails are lovely and gracious. And I am lucky, lucky, lucky to have the opportunity to do what I do.

Meanwhile--I read again to Randi's class. Here's what I learned today. That all the things we tell our students to do at the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Workshop at BYU--staying in scene, showing not telling, avoiding flashbacks--are true. I think adult readers (and writers) are okay with interior action (and that includes remembering), but I REALLY noticed that the kids lost interest when the action wasn't moving forward . . . and fast.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

Are you kidding? Whining is what blogs are *for*. I think you have a healthy balance of complaint, cupcakes, straight-up observation and chin-up optimism. Carry on.