Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Present

A vanilla creamsicle boy--
That's what Hannah calls
Her new baby, Sam,
Who is as blond and fair
As a sandy beach beneath
A sweet summer sky.

I think about Hannah's mother,
Becky, who loved everything
About a baby--
The soft skin, the soft hair,
The soft breath, the soft noises.
I think about how I wish
Becky were here right now
With Hannah and Sam and me,
Holding all that softness
In the welcoming yield
Of her curving arms.

Becky would have fallen
Complete and whole
As the moon is full
Into this very moment
Because that's how Becky lived.
Present.

So.
I honor the memory of my dearest
Friend by letting her go
And letting myself be only here--
Here in this moment,
Here in this room,
Here with Hannah and Sam,
Her creamsicle boy.

2 comments:

Jim said...

This is so beautiful. A great tie between the past, the present, and the future.

Martha said...

Ann I am so delighted that Becky's beautiful daughters have a bond with you! I too love Becky and her daughters dearly. I have grieved for the great loss of her presence on earth for her daughters. You are a perfect lighthouse for them!