Wednesday, September 18, 2019

What I'm Missing Today

My old column.

I just returned from a luncheon where I spoke about how I became a columnist (the answer is "by accident") and I was semi-shocked to realize that I did a version of the same column from 1985 (when I started writing for Parent Express) until 2017 (I think) when The Tribune asked me to focus on the advice column only.

That's a lot of columns. And I've realized that not writing that column has felt like an enormous loss to me. More than I've been willing to acknowledge.

Because the column was "personal," I wrote about my boys, my parents (especially TRQ), Ken Cannon, the dogs, friends, Salt Lake City, popular culture, whatever. I was fortunate because the column allowed me to bear witness about my own life. And knowing I had a deadline made me pay attention to that all that living . . .  in a way I haven't since then.

So. I know that blogging isn't really a thing anymore. But I think I'll start up here again, along with posting the poems I have enjoyed writing.

Yes. I think this is a plan.

6 comments:

Dianna said...

I miss your old column too! Which is why I stalked you all the way over here. (I promise I'm not creepy though.) I will look forward to reading more here on your blog.

hkgrob said...

I miss your old column so much. Thank you for continuing to write.

hkgrob said...

I miss your old column so much. Thank you for continuing to write.

radagast said...

This is an excellent plan.

Jim said...

Good plan.

Dave and Terrie Larsen said...

I love your advice column, but really miss your old column too. I'm so excited to read more on your blog.