Friday, August 18, 2017

Coach Mac

I was parking downtown to meet up with a former student and forever friend (she's lives in England now!) for breakfast, when I noticed a man getting out of the car right in front of me.  He seemed familiar--his stance reminded me of my uncles.  And suddenly I realized it was Ron McBride, my dad's old rival and cherished friend.

I called out to him.

He paused--and when he realized it was me, he gave me a big old Dad Hug.  We looked at each other and our eyes filled with tears.  We talked, of course, but really.  Nothing needed to be said.

His hug was a gift.  Thank you, Universe.  Thank you Coach Mac.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Every now and then I go to my late sister's hometown and talk with the people she loved and who loved her. Truly - what a gift. 💛💛💛

analyn said...

This is so sweet. Made me tear up. Glad I get to read your writings again in this space.

Sarah said...

Oh man, moments like this are the thread.