Thursday, August 29, 2013

What I've been reading lately

Well, as reported earlier, I've been reading a lot of non-fiction for kids.  My favorite so far is a book for upper middle grade/ jr. high kids called The Nazi Hunters by Neal Bascomb.  It's the story of how Adolf Eichmann finally got his--partly because a teenage girl who innocently dated his son was able to ID him.

I also read the ARC for the new Martin Cruz Smith novel called Tatiana.  I admire Smith a lot.  His Rose is a favorite of mine.  And I like his detective Arkady Renko.  And I REALLY liked the first half of the book.  But then it started feeling all been-there-done-that to me--especially the romance part of it.  WAIT!  Not that I've personally been-there-doing-that.  Especially in Russia.  But you know what I mean.

I will say this.  Any time I read a novel set in Russia I am just really, really glad I don't live there.  Oh, Mother Russia!  Nobody's calling YOU for a good time!  That's for sure.

I also read Winston Churchill's Secretary, which I kept reading because the period is interesting to me--London during the Blitz.  The striking thing about this book is that it was not only about the 1940's, it felt like it was written during the 1940's.  And I don't think that was on purpose, frankly.  I enjoyed it, but probably not enough to read the rest of the books in the series.

Gee.  I sound so grumpy.  I don't mean to, because the truth is I'm in awe of anyone who writes a book and finishes it, let alone gets it published.  That is hard, hard work, people.

I also read Harvest by Jim Crace.  Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.  And so dark.  I don't need any more dark for awhile.

Started reading a new ARC Betsy loaned me called hmmmmm.  Now I can't remember.  I'll report back.

And finally I've been going through manuscripts writer friends have given me.  I have a lot of talented writer friends.  They keep me humble.


2 comments:

radagast said...

Hmmm. Just gave Harvest to my son--without having read it myself, 'cause I don't read anymore, but I still like books. Anyway. Hope I haven't depressed the hell out of him!

Ann said...

Oh, Radagast! I appreciate you so much!

Let's go to Target and buy some of those special shopping coats together, shall we? And meanwhile Ima gonna change that back to "carts." Not that I put "carts" in the first place.

xo