Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Playing the "What if" Game

Just now when I was at Smith's Marketplace, I saw a guy sitting in front of the store who looked a LOT like my brother Jimmy.  In fact, I had to do a double-take, because the last time I checked, Jimmy was eating Cuban food at that place next door to the Precious Slut Tattoo Parlor (and no--I am not making up that name) in Las Vegas.

Anyhoo.  I started playing the "What If" game.  What if that really WERE my brother Jimmy?   And what if this was the first time I'd seen him since we were teenagers?  Because what if he'd been kidnapped when we were kids?  What if he'd been kidnapped when I was supposed to be watching him but instead I was talking to my friend Gigi Ballif on the telephone?  CAN YOU IMAGINE THE GUILT?  How would I feel seeing him sitting there in front of Smith's Marketplace?

That could be the start of a novel, right?  A novel written by Dean Koontz, probably.  Or maybe me.  Or maybe you.

Playing the "What If" game every day may pay off eventually.  And even if it doesn't, at least it makes going to Smith's Marketplace more interesting than usual.

2 comments:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Oh my sweet Ann....I have missed you. We have been so stupid busy that I haven't had a moment to write or read or even have a decent burp. Life is what it is...

James said...

I am sure the "What If" game is good for spurring on ideas, but its also good for making road trips go by faster with kids. What if the farmer in the field we just passed is about to discovery a buried treasure. What will he do with it? What if there is a massive Earthquake, and Most of California goes off into the sea, and Baker California becomes a beach town. Will the Mad Greek charge even higher prices for a gyro? Speaking of eating, I hope the "other" Jimmy was eating Massas De Puerco (Fried Pieces of Pork Chunks) with black beans and rice. Now lets play, "I wish". I wish I had Massas De Puerco right now.