Monday, April 25, 2011

Some thoughts on plays

Doni called to say she had tickets to see FRANKENSTEIN and did I want to go with her. I got things all mixed up in my head and thought she had tickets to see Mel Brooks' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (the musical!). Anyway, I said yes because it was Doni and I LOVE Doni because she's the best. But dude. I was also excited to see YF.

Only she didn't have tickets to the play--or at least THAT play. She had tickets to a a filmed version of the stage play FRANKENSTEIN currently running in London. And suddenly I had anxiety because I can get nervous watching plays with no dancing involved. Especially if they go for over two hours. I get really claustrophobic, in fact. Like, the house lights go down and I start thinking, I'M TRAPPED IN THIS SEAT AND THIS SEAT IS ON THE TITANIC AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT. BECAUSE I'M TRAPPED.

But actually the play turned out to be pretty fabulous. It's been on my mind ever since I saw it on Saturday. It gives you plenty to think about, including the subject of who's really more monstrous, man or monster. Also Johnny Lee Miller was terrific as Frankenstein. I wanted to call him after and tell him how great he was and also ask him what it was like to be married to Angelina Jolie for five minutes when they were younger.

Thanks, Doni, for a nice evening.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Plays make me itchy. Why aren't they movies? is all.

wjmom said...

We saw "Phantom of the Opera" in Las Vegas last week. I could hardly wait, and I was sad it was over. Elementary school productions through professional work, I love them all! And they all end too soon.

Louise Plummer said...

"Plays make me itchy"?
"I'm trapped in this seat"?

People, there's nothing more sublime than the theatre.

NOTHING.

Marcia said...

I love plays. I love the shared experience between the actors & the audience. (I've never seen a filmed play and wonder what I would think about that.)