Friday, March 4, 2011

Today

March 4 is a significant date for me. On the one hand, it's the birthday of my great childhood friend, Gigi Ballif Arrington, about whom I have written much. So that's a cause of celebration right there. I am happy to report that she has more than reached the potential for fabulosity she exhibited when we were eleven. Gigi, your grandmother would be so proud of your passionate heart and your community activism. You are an inspiration.

On the other hand, March 4 is the day Becky Brown Thomas died suddenly in her sleep. Becky was another childhood friend. I can still remember the day we met--we were standing outside the boys bathroom at the old Edgemont wardhouse, and we connected immediately. That connection only deepend over the years. Hardly a day passed when we didn't talk to one another. Like sisters. The kind who actually enjoy each other. We had lunch together the day before she died. And seven years later I still can't believe she's gone.

Odd that these two defining friendships have this day in common. Meanwhile I will think on both women with affection and deep gratitude.

1 comment:

Greg and Jayne said...

Lucky you, lucky them.