Monday, January 10, 2011

Embracing

The other day when I was teaching a Relief Society lesson at a local nursing home, I told my little audience that life is way, way, WAY too short to hate an entire season, so from now on, people, I am going to EMBRACE WINTER!

So I got up this morning with a plan to embrace winter. Here's a recap.

1. At 5:15 a.m. I put on an insane number of clothes so I could go on MY morning walk with Kathy and instead of grumbling I went WINTER, I EMBRACE YOU BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING I'D RATHER DO THAN PULL ON LOTS OF UNCOMFORTABLE UNDERWEAR TWO HOURS BEFORE THE SUN COMES UP.

2. Between 5:30 and 6:30 Kathy and I went on our walk, which caused me to say WINTER, I EMBRACE YOU BECAUSE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO SLIP AND FALL ON HER BUTT SOMEWHERE ALONG SOUTH TEMPLE BEFORE BREAKFAST? WHILE IT'S STILL DARK? BECAUSE THERE'S STILL ANOTHER HOUR BEFORE SUNLIGHT?

3. At 10:30, I drove over to Stephanie's house and did a little fishtail thing along 9th East because it was icy and apparently going 15 mph was too fast, so I exclaim WINTER, I EMBRACE YOU BECAUSE DANGER MAKES ME FEEL ALIVE AND ALSO GIVES ME AN OPPORTUNITY TO LAUGH IN ITS FACE. HAHAHAHAHA!

See? Aren't you proud of me? Meanwhile, I am sipping some herbal tea because THAT'S one of the real pleasures of the season.

10 comments:

CSIowa said...

Thank you for this today.

LucindaF said...

Ann, I embrace you for embracing winter. Because yes, all of us want to fall on our butts on south Temple an hour before sunrise. Because that is way better than falling on our butts at NOON on south Temple.

Just no breaking of wrists before the conference this year. Although, I think your assistant would be glad to bring straws for your cold cans of dr. pepper.

Lisa B. said...

Winter, I embrace you by getting under the covers just as soon as it is decent to do so, say, at 3 p.m. (is that too early?) and also by shivering a lot, because you're cold, Winter, so shivering is my salute: Winter, you are worth it because of the sweaters and because of any dish that includes hot melted cheese. Winter, I embrace the extra layer of fat that hot melted cheese has embraced *me* with (yes, that's me, embracing myself, what?). Winter, I am tired because staying warm and eating enchiladas, etc., is hard work, and it is 3:23 p.m. Time for jammies.

Louise Plummer said...

Winter: so far, so good.

SWILUA said...

one of the benefits of having a cane is that you have a tripod thing going on and you slip less. Kerry: 1 Winter: ZERO!! heh.

Anonymous said...

Winter: the only time my middle-aged, plus-sized body stays cool. My own personal summer is contributing to global warming - along with a few million other menopausal baby-boomers.

BTW - NO way to thank you for today. Everyone enjoyed your presentation SO SO SO much. Much hugs! R.

Becca said...

Winter: I embrace the reason for plugging in the heater pad and warming up my bed before I brush my teeth.

Winter: I embrace heated leather seats.

WInter: I embrace produce trucked in from Chile.

Winter: I embrace the "how many degrees below zero will the car thermometer register before we get to school?" game, because I'm into friendly competition.

(Somehow I don't think I'm quite in the zone yet.)

BBB said...

Yes, very proud! Especially because there's NOT A CHANCE that I'm waking up at 5:30am, bundling up, and going out in that butt freezing weather to take a walk.

radagast said...

Winter never hugs back, though. Just another cold shoulder.

Amy said...

:D Winter embraces you back - by pulling your butt to the sidewalk. You're welcome.