Friday, November 27, 2009

Characters

I ran into some computer problems earlier this week, so I took my laptop into the paper to have the tech guys take a look. Here's the part I loved. The guy who was helping me had a big sign on his desk that said MOST PEOPLE ARE A WASTE OF TIME.

Is this not the perfect, absolutely perfect telling detail?

I want to turn my tech guy into a character and put him in a story.

Naomi Shihab Nye has a wonderful bit about finding poems in the strangest places. I feel the same way about characters.

3 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Gosh, this sounds like Ed. I've also heard him say, "If they don't have a sense of humor, I don't bother with 'em.

Lisa B. said...

Great stuff. And sometimes, it must be said, that tech guy has a point.

Well, doesn't he?

Bob the Woodworker said...

It's probably not a bad idea to have a social reject as your tech guy.