Sunday, April 26, 2009

How do they do it?

I met up with Gene Nelson (Provo Librarian and Children's Lit Guy Extraordinaire) on Friday at the ULA meetings, and I was struck again by his PASSION for kids books. Like, he was going to dress up as "Cool Motorcycle Dude" man to perform a reading that afternoon of a picture book he loves and wow. Can I just say I was impressed? And jealous? He's been in this world for a long time, but he's still feeling the love.

My own enthusiasm is flagging right now, so I find myself intrigued by people who can find ways to keep connecting and caring. How do they do it?

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I had a conference with a poet once who talked about "keeping yourself cheerful for the work," and I thought it was a good insight--that, in a way, it was a decision you made ahead of time. That's not to say that a break from that to reconsider, think about new directions, etc., can't be helpful and completely necessary. But any kind of writing has so many downs, it's good to have some way to not get totally thrown off by them. I too am impressed with the people who keep their enthusiasm high.

Louise Plummer said...

I don't know. Sometimes I have it, but mostly I don't. You had it not too long ago. It will come back.