Monday, July 28, 2008

Overcoming Writer's Block: Tip Number One

Last week when I was at the Orem Public Library talking about my new book (that would be THE LOSER'S GUIDE TO LIFE AND LOVE) with a group of young readers, one of the kids asked if I "believe in Writer's Block."

ME: You mean I have a choice? I can NOT believe in Writer's Block?

Turns out that a previous visiting author passed along the observation that Writer's Block isn't real--it's just a figment of our imagination, don't you know.

Well, I told the group that I not only believe in Writer's Block, I experience it on a really, really sadly regular basis--which is why I'm happy to pass along tips (free of charge!) for powering through Writer's Block. The lovely Shannon Hale (one of my favorite authors and human beings) says that the fear of not being good enough is the greatest cause of Writer's Block. So how do you get past your fear as a writer? You give yourself permission to write a wretched first draft while exercising a little faith that you can make it better.

More tips to follow . . .

No comments: